As a Senior Mechanical Engineer, you will apply working knowledge of heat transfer, fluid management, instrument design, and general engineering principles to design and commercialize an evolving platform of instrument solutions for automating the production of single cells and nuclei from solid tissue.
Under the direction and mentorship of the Engineering Manager, you will own the design, build, documentation, and testing of your solutions to support system-level integration. You will provide technical and engineering excellence, working with product development teams to develop mechanical, electro-mechanical, fluid management, and delivery components, and systems that meet project requirements. You will contribute to a dynamic team environment by being proactive, communicating clearly to all stakeholders, and modeling a highly collaborative working environment.
More broadly, you will continuously work with cross-functional groups and across the organization at every stage of the product development cycle, from concept to launch. Previous experience in life science or clinical instrumentation is a plus but not required.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Design and commercialization of instrument sub-assemblies and sub-systems using high-level skills in 3D CAD software. SolidWorks experience is ideal and preferred.
- Translating product requirements into system and sub-system design solutions.
- Selecting and optimizing system components for performance, reliability, and cost.
- Hands-on assembly, testing, and troubleshooting of systems and sub-system.
- Performing formal subsystem verification, including writing and executing protocols.
- Working effectively to design solutions that work optimally with injection-molded consumables in the company’s product offerings.
- Modeling of heat transfer in system components.
- Managing the technical deliverables of key suppliers, including management of outsourced component and subassembly design, for timely and quality solutions.
- Applying best practices of design and test.
- Clearly and objectively communicating with project members, peers, and leadership.
- Contributing to sustaining engineering post-launch.
- Ensuring compliance with the company’s Product Development process and design control requirements.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Minimum of a B.S. Degree in Mechanical Engineering or a closely related discipline.
- At least 5 years of combined academic and commercial experience developing instruments in life sciences incorporating fluid management systems (macro-fluidics).
- Experience in mechanical design and analysis with strong hands-on mechanical aptitude.
- Familiarity with fluid control components and system architecture.
- Experience solving problems in a multidisciplinary environment with engineers and scientists.
- Knowledge of machining, sheet metal, 3D printing, and other advanced fabrication techniques.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to field challenging questions in a public setting.
Attributes / Skills:
- Complex Problem Solving — Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Critical Thinking — Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Design — Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in the production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Production and Processing — Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Systems Analysis — Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Knowledgeable of biotech industry standards for moving mechanical assemblies, material properties, design factors of safety, Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GDT), and product verification.
- Proficient with drafting practices including GDT.
- Capable of managing projects, including costs and schedules.
- Operations Analysis — Analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design.
- Strong lab skills, with the ability to perform and document detail-oriented work.
- Effective multi-tasking capabilities.
- M.S. or Ph.D. Degree
- Extensive SolidWorks CAD Experience